The giveaway has ended. Congrats Kevin T!
I had seen references of EnergyBits all over twitter and some blog reviews earlier, but my interest was piqued when someone tweeted about fighting off the onset of sickness with the bits.
Wait what? Something that could help me not get sick over and over again? I poked my head into the conversation and asked them about the secret ingredient. Energy Bits talked to me about their ingredients and why they work, and sent me a sample to see for myself!
So what exactly are these Energy Bits?
From their website –” Made from 100% organicallly grown spirulina algae and loaded with 40 nutrients, ENERGYbits® algae tabs have the highest concentration of protein in the world (64%) all for just one calorie per tab. Endorsed by the United Nations as the most nutritious food on earth, spirulina algae has been a favorite of Olympic gold medalists for decades and is a super food in every sense of the word, delivering instant and enduring energy to your brain and body.”
I don’t usually jump in to try an edible product. But I was liking what I read so far.
- 1 calorie per bit and so only 30 calories per serving.
- Total number of ingredients – 1 (100% Spirulina Algae)
- No sugar or soy or gluten or caffeine
Spirulina powder and bottles grace the shelves at my local Whole Foods and I knew of its benefits for overall health including weight loss and lowering cholesterol and blood pressure. But to power my workout?
I decided to test them out as a pre-run fuel on one of the days that I take an unscheduled lunchtime run. However, it so happened that I ended up at a crossfit WOD instead. So I decided to test the bits out.
The website says – “For best results, swallow at least 30 ENERGYbits® (or more) before any workout, run, game or intense physical or mental activity. They will improve your energy and endurance. Also take whenever you are tired, hungry or don’t have time to eat or cook. They are a terrific high protein, low calorie snack or meal on the go. A favorite of Olympic athletes.Swallow with beverage (or chew them as you would a handful of nuts). Remember, they’re “bits” of food (not pills).”
I was a little hesitant about swallowing 30 little ibuprofen sized bits (I almost called them ‘pills’!). And with my issues of swallowing, it took me a little while to get them all in (I gag if whatever I’m attempting to swallow touches my tongue or throat).
Now, I’m a very visual imaginative person and I had the mental image of my biceps doing the Popeye, the sailor man flex thing. And just like Popeye, I visualized my muscles becoming submarines or bombers.
The WOD was a 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 of Sumo Deadlifts High Pulls, Burpee Pull Ups, Mountain Climbers and Air Squats.
The previous time I had attempted a similar ladder, I lasted only until the 6th repeats. The rest of the WOD had been a drag. This time, I lasted the entire ladder and although tired, did not feel like I was about to pass out.
Did the Bits help me power through a WOD? I’m intrigued enough to try them out some more.
Sponsored: EnergyBits provided me with a sample of the bits to review.
Opinions expressed are my own.
Want to try EnergyBits on your own? Enter my giveaway for the chance to get your own bits. Here’s how you can win.
- Use the widget below to enter the giveaway. Log in with your facebook or email to record your entries. You HAVE to log in before you comment, else rafflecopter will not record your details and I will not be able to contact you if you win.
- Post a comment in this blog on how you plan to use the EnergyBits. What workout will you fuel with the bits?
- You can also enter through the giveaway tab on my facebook page for additional entries.
- The giveaway is open from January 21st to January 28th, 11:59pm to all in continental United States.
- The winner will be announced on the blog within 48 hours of the giveaway closing and the company will ship EnergyBits to you directly.