The idea for this post started when I posted this photo of my minions to my Instagram account a few weeks back (Follow me if you already don’t!). It was a picture perfect moment with both the minions coming in first in their categories at a school “Reflections” event. The picture totally masked the fact that my 5yo had been throwing a tantrum just 20 minutes before and rolling on the floor!!
Then ironically, I read this post about how life is not like Instagram photos.
It got me looking back at my own photos and I wanted to share my perfect Instagram run photos that do not always tell the perfect story. (Coincidentally this also happens to be similar to the Friday Five Link Up hosted by DC area bloggers Eat Pray Run DC, Mar on the Run and You Signed Up For What?! where this week’s topic is Five Fitness Snapshots.)
1. This photo was taken at about Mile 9-10 of the Dopey Marathon. I am being a goof and a badass in the photo.
What this doesn’t tell is how miserable I was feeling and how badly my foot was hurting and exponentially increasing my misery. It took me quite an effort to accept advice, stop and reboot both physically and mentally.
2. This finishers photo from Chicago Marathon 2012 is one of my favorites! I’m holding out my space blanket like a superhero cape and I’m all smiles and just magnificent.
What it doesn’t tell is the story of me running 26.2 miles with the Flu and running it all in a haze without knowing what I was doing for those almost 6 hours.
3. I wrote about this in my Worst race. Another awesome finishers photo from last year.
What this doesn’t tell the viewer is the twinge of regret I had for “throwing” away the race by deciding to run for fun with friends.
4. Beast mode is about right for this photo!!! It shows a strong attempt at some CrossFit Olympic move.
What it doesn’t show is the discipline for the past 8 months that went behind this photo. I could count on fingers in one hand when I gave a mediocre effort at the WODs. Why is it not perfect? Because this would go on to be my last week of CrossFit WODs 🙁
If I had not gotten onto the path of Dopey and now Augusta 70.3, I’d still be doing CrossFit and having some more of those beast mode photos!
5. This one shows 4 runners, three of us pointing to the girl in pink (Beth). Some story behind it for sure!
Well … that story is Beth’s to tell. And I lied about it not being a perfect photo. It is. And I included this to show that while training for a major event is challenging and exciting, doing it with friends is even more fun!
Do you have a photo that looks like the perfect Instagram snapshot but actually tells a different story when explained? Either a happy photo telling an otherwise story or vice-versa.
Post a link to it with a story behind it!
Connect with me on other social media channels